Mr. = Mister = man (married, single, divorced, widowed)
Mrs. (say Miss-uz) = woman (married, divorced, widowed)
Ms. (say Mizz) = woman (married, single, divorced, widowed)
Miss = woman (single) or girl
Master = boy
1. What time is it? I donít know.
What time is it? Itís 7 oíclock.
2. Do you have the time? No, I donít.
Do you have the time? Yes, itís 7 oíclock.
3. Do you know what time it is? No, I donít.
Do you know what time it is? Yes, itís 7 oíclock.
4. Itís noon. = Itís 12 pm. = Itís 12:00 pm. = Itís high noon.
5. Itís midnight. = Itís 12 am. = Itís 12:00 am.
6. Itís 7 oíclock. = Itís 7:00.
7. am = before noon. Itís 7 am. = Itís 7 in the morning.
8. pm = after noon. Itís 7 pm. = Itís 7 in the evening.
9. How to tell time
The easy way: number of complete hours + number of minutes 7 hours +11 minutes = 7:11
(Do not say 7 hours :11 minutes. Say the numbers only: 7:11)
The hard way: number of minutes + a word + the number of hours
11 past 7 OR 11 after 7 = 7:11
. Say past or after when the minute hand points between 0 and 30 minutes. Say to, of, till, until, or before when the minute hand points between 30 and 60 minutes.
- Excuse me. How do I get to Targit from CEC?
- Take Colorado Boulevard west to Lake Avenue. Targit is on the north side of Colorado about 2 blocks past Lake.
- Pardon me. Do you know where Targit is?
- Yes. Go west on Colorado Boulevard past Lake Avenue. Itís about 2 blocks after Lake, on the north side of Colorado.
ēSan Francisco N
ēLA ēPhoenix W E
ēSan Diego S
San Francisco is north of Los Angeles.
San Diego is south of Los Angeles.
Phoenix is east of Los Angeles.
Los Angeles is west of Phoenix.
Phoenix is northeast of San Diego.
Phoenix is southeast of San Francisco.
San Diego is southwest of Phoenix.
San Francisco is northwest of Phoenix.
Union 88 ē ē Barco
Foss ē ē Moonbucks
Union 88 is on the northwest corner of the intersection.
Barco is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Foss is on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Moonbucks is on the southeast corner of the intersection.
How do I get to the main office?
Go straight ahead. = Itís straight ahead.
Go down the hall and turn left. = Go down the hall and make a left.
Go past the library and turn right. = Go past the library and make a right.
Turn left at the end of the hall. = Make a left at the end of the hall.
12 inches = 1 foot 8 ounces = 1 cup
3 feet = 1 yard 2 cups = 1 pint
5,280 feet = 1 mile 2 pints = 1 quart
16 ounces = 1 pound 4 quarts = 1 gallon
2,000 pounds = 1 ton 1 gallon of water = 8 pounds
1 acre = 208.7 feet per side
$ = dollar sign
Ę = cent sign
$1 = $1.00 = one dollar
50Ę = 50 cents = $ .50 = half a dollar = a half dollar
$1.50 = a
dollar fifty = one fifty =one and a half dollars