Don't have an Account?
17. A Mad Adder
A zoo employee was bitten by an African
adder, a large poisonous snake. He was trying
put the snake into a bag so that
could be moved to a new snake house.
snake handler was wearing heavy gloves and thick
, but the adder sank its fangs into the
's neck. The handler squeezed the snake’s neck tightly,
it to withdraw its fangs. He then put
snake into the bag and tied the bag.
called the zoo administration to report that he
been bitten. When an ambulance arrived at the
snake house, neither snake nor man was there.
paramedics started walking back toward the old snake
. A few moments later, they found the man
unconscious on the trail. Curiously, the bag with
snake in it was covering the man's head
part of his chest.
The paramedics handed the
to another zoo employee, who delivered the snake
its new home. They then delivered the handler
the city hospital. A hospital spokesman said that
man was in good condition. He said that
bites can cause a lot of tissue damage
the immediate area of the bite if not
properly and quickly, but it looked like this
would recover completely.
The zoo director said that
particular adder had a nasty reputation. This was
third time in six years that it had
to bite someone. Fortunately, the previous two victims
recovered fully. In the future, he smiled, they
call the bomb disposal unit to handle the